This is the last newsletter for 2015 and once again we have had a very exciting, challenging and rewarding school year. During the year there have been a large number of events showing what a great community we have here at St John Paul II.
Some of these events have included:
- Ninja and Pirate Days for Stage 4
- Year 6 into Year 7 Transition Day
- Mock Trial
- Public speaking
- Kool Schools - the state-wide school music project
- Science and Mathematics Competitions
- Write A Book In A Day
- Marian Expo
- Year 12 Retreat at Collaroy
- Year 7 Camp at Yarramundi
- Year 7-11 Reflection Days
- Terra Sancta/ St John Paul II Day
- Chess competitions
Other activities have included:
- HSC Dance and Music Showcase evenings
- Creative Arts Night
- Vinnie’s Van
- The introduction of RISEUP
Internal and external sports competitions, Sports Presentation Awards, Semester one and two merit assemblies,TAFE and UWS courses, NAPLAN, and of course another HSC.
Just as importantly two teachers and six students have commenced preparations to journey to Poland next year as part of World Youth Day. Pope John Paul II’s home was Poland and it is a source of inspiration that these young people will be able to experience his native land and bring some of that charism back to our school thereby helping to deepen our traditions which commenced under the name Terra Sancta and have continued as St John Paul II.
This year we say farewell to the following staff who are taking up positions at other schools after a number of years working at our college as part of their professional development:
- Robert Feeney – 16 years
- Anne-Marie Barrett Brown – 12 years
- Daniella Bonello – 10 years
- Jason McDonald – 7 years
- Regina Argar – 2 years
Robert Feeney, who leaves us after sixteen years of service as College Religious Education coordinator. Robert will take up the role of Religious Education Coordinator at McCarthy College, Emu Plains, in 2016 and we know he will serve that community with the same enthusiasm, dedication and commitment to hard work that he has given to Terra Sancta and St John Paul II since 2000. Over his time here Robert has been an excellent leader and role model for young teachers and aspiring leaders. He has helped develop a school community that has strong faith foundations, excellent teaching and learning as well as vibrant inter personal relationships. We wish Robert and the other staff who are leaving well for their future.
The following staff who have been on temporary contract are also finishing with us at the end of the year:
- Dennis Copp
- Belinda Judson
- Megan Daly
- Sean McEvoy
We welcome the following staff to St John Paul II in 2016:
- Nal Wijesekera – Leader of Learning Religious Education
- Sara Borg – HSIE
- Kaytee Johnstone – English/ Religious Education
- Keira-Jaye Turner – HSIE/English/ Religious Education
- Alison Gardiner – Religious Education/Sport
- Christopher Chapman – LCF Sport/ PDHPE
College Council 2016
We are pleased to announce that our College Council will be strong and vibrant again in 2016. We congratulate the following council members who were elected at the College Council Annual General Meeting held on the 24 November:
- Council Chair – Mr Michael Richards
- Council Vice-Chair – Mr Rowan Russell
- Council Secretary – Mrs Jenine Garcia
- Staff Representative – Mrs Kristy Diener
The Council consists of Parish Priests, Cooperating Principals, Parish representatives, Staff representatives and Parent/Caregiver Representatives. If you wish to be part of the College Council please complete theNomination Form. There are currently 3 vacancies for parent/caregiver representatives on the College Council.
We wish everyone a safe, happy and above all holy Christmas.